Sunday, January 4, 2009

measurements and photos

Initial Stuff: Measurements, Pictures and Body Fat
I am going to take pictures and do body fat measurements as well as circumference. I am going to do the body fat in non-traditional ways, which is what I do with my clients and what I teach personal trainers to do with theirs. Traditional body fat measurements done with a caliper would have me pinch the skin at my triceps/back of the upper arm, midsection a little above the hip bone, and the middle of the thigh. These measurement sites are good for me because I don’t store much body fat in those areas. I tend to store more body fat in the middle of my midsection, not on the side above my hip. So for this program, I am going to measure where I have the most and use that as a baseline to see results.

These measurements and pictures are taken on Sunday, Jan. 4th, 2009.
Weight: 146.7lb.
Waist at navel: 30 in.
Waist at smallest: 32.5 in.
Millimeters of body fat at navel: 27 mm.
Traditional measure of body fat (at tricep, above hip and at thigh): 17.7% body fat, which is deemed very good. Again, its my uneven storage of body fat that I am trying to tackle!

These pictures show you what I mean: I look pretty lean but my midsection is too big and flabby.
Just a side note: the photo where I am looking at a piece of paper, is me looking at Dara Torres, who did so well at the Olympics at 40 years old. She is ripped, and an inspiration to all of us wanting better midsections!

No comments: